10th Arab-Austrian Economic Forum & Exhibition - BACKGROUND INFORMATION
The Arab-Austrian Economic Forum & Exhibition is a periodic event organized every time on a specific topic of mutual interest between the Arab countries, Austria and Europe. It aims at exchanging views, experiences and technologies in that field in particular and to strengthen the economic relations and cooperation in general.
The sustainable use of energy is a central question in modern global societies. Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency have become major factor for effective urban planning for Sustainable Development. This applies not only in rural (off-grid) areas, but also particularly in highly populated areas. Topics like access to energy, sustainable mobility, public utilities, distributed generation; passive housing and design of urban communities are depending on the efficient use of energy.
A wide range of innovative technologies are available mostly all over the world, but that does not guarantee the best solution for the very specific demands of each city. Therefore, the process of exploring and planning the most suitable solutions in cooperation with stakeholders from business, administration and policy is gaining crucial importance for the decision itself, but even more so for the implementation and smooth management and operation of these new systems. Such inclusive processes increase acceptance, ownership and ongoing prosperity of cities.
Europe and the Arab region share close geographic proximity and are both affected by the impacts of climate change. Urban agglomerations in large capitals of the region call for energy efficient solutions and enhancement of innovation to improve livelihoods. This leads to the development of new technologies for the sustainable use of resources and diversification of energy sources in the region.
Austria has an outstanding expertise in these areas, and new programmes and projects for the effective use of energy and new urban developments are launched in many Arab countries.
Objective of the 10th Arab-Austrian Economic Forum
The forum will focus to bring in decisions makers, investors, financing institutions, manufacturers, think tanks and experts to work together to fill the missing link to upscale projects building on technology and knowledge transfer. It will focus on the tools and the enablers for fostering climate change mitigation measures in relation to energy sector. This will be based on the well presentation of the energy status in the Arab region and discussing different future scenarios for its transition. The discussion will involve different stakeholders to clarify their roles for guaranteed implementation of sustainable energy projects.
This year, the forum aims at:
- Highlighting and analysing energy profile in the Euro-Arab region showing the current transition and the needs for future actions
- Building up partnerships to promote investments, financing and up-scaling sustainable energy projects via strengthening the cooperation with private sectors in the mentioned regions. This shall be facilitated by launching and promoting a “High Level Policy Dialogue” (HLPD) between Europe and Arab countries.
- Identifying related financial tools, incentives and investment development: funds, benefits, challenges, potential areas for future investment etc.
- The exchange of experiences, technologies and solutions for modern and sustainable urban developments.
Structure of the Forum:
The Forum is designed in one ministerial and three main sessions:
The first session will discuss focus on the establishing of the High Level Policy Dialogue (HLPD) gathering investors, financing institutions and energy agencies. The HLPD will be considered as a platform to promote the use of RE&EE in the region and through fostering climate change mitigation measures via meaningful partnerships between Europe and the Arab countries. The HLPD aims to come up with a well-articulated and well-studied list of bankable and realistic projects ideally based on NDCs of the southern Mediterranean countries with the aim of benefiting from the GCF and all other concessional financing initiatives for financing relevant Climate Action.
The second session will give an overview on the energy sector within the Euro-Arab context.
The third session will be focusing on urban planning and sustainable cities and will discuss the role of cities in future transition towards green economies and sustainable development.
This is illustrated through the following topics:
- Energy outlook of the world, EU and the southern region
- Future energy transition scenarios and socio-economic consequences
- Climate finance to promote mitigation and adaptation measures
- Enhancing partnership between energy services providers, IFIs, investors, think tanks, governmental and intergovernmental organizations and decisions makers.
- Investments, risk mitigation and increase projects bankability enabling factors.
- Building partnership and energy synergies.
- Urban planning for local authorities
- Sustainable cities
Target Groups & Partnering Institutions
Private sector groups, government authorities, financial and research institutions from Arab States are the expected target beneficiaries, namely:
- Related Ministries and official institutions;
- Union of Arab Chambers (UAC);
- Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC);
- Regional and local chambers in Arab countries;
- Embassies and diplomatic representations;
- Local governments and Municipalities;
- European Union (EU)/European-Mediterranean Assemblies for Energy, Environment and Water (EUROMED);
- Arab Industrial Development and Mining Organization (AIDMO);
- Investment authorities & institutions, Investors and funds;
- Universities, Educational Institutions and Research institutions;
- Companies and Corporate Leaders;
- Major developmental organizations and financial institutions;
- MSME agencies;
- Chambers of Commerce, Business Associations and entrepreneur’s networks;
- Technology providers;
The Conference Language is English (translation from/into Arabic provided for selected session).